Should I stop running?
Running related injuries are commonly seen for physical therapy at Smith Performance Center. Unlike some of the advice you may hear, stopping can prolong the problem. Rest does not automatically equal recovery or resolution of an injury. A nice tool to consider learning is the modified low dye. It can help to reduce foot and lower leg pain while allowing for you to continue training.
The Modified Low Dye
- Buy the tape from Amazon – leukotape and coverall
- Use a good pair of scissors
- If you are doing it alone, cut the tape before starting
- Put on the coverall (white tape) prior to the leukotape (brown tape)
- Go light on the tension the first time
- Plantarflex the first ray, apply the tape on the dorsal surface of the foot close to the joint of the big toe
- Wrap the tape around like a horse shoe
- Lock the tape in place, but not too tight
- If it is itchy or painful, take it off